Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Recipe From the Archives: Avocado Salad


     The Superbowl is coming and the Bears won't be playing.  In spite of that disappointment, I will probably still have the game on.

     I am marginally more interested in football after going to see the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte.  My friend, Jim, is slowly, slowly....slowly...getting me into sports.  The University of South Florida won!  One of my alma maters!  Woot!

     The game was fun but I will admit I was much more interested in watching the two marching bands. And trying to figure out why there were cheerleaders AND a dance team and two (exactly TWO) baton twirlers.  Oh, and a flag corps for each team.  Altogether, there were about 100 scantily-clad nubile young women on that field.  I guess that was reason enough for a portion of the spectators.    

    The Superbowl = Food.  What to make for the game?  Something healthy but tastes decadent.  Ahhhh, yesss...a recipe I made for the 2009 Superbowl, my Avocado Salad.  Great flavors and textures are at play in this salad.  (Did you notice how I incorporated the use of "play" right then?  So appropriate for a Superbowl post, yes?)  The tomatoes are tangy, the avocado is smooth and creamy, the corn is toothsome and the vinaigrette ties everything together.  Delish!

Avocado Salad
Inspired by EatingWell.com
Serves 8

5 Haas avocados, roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
1 tomato, roughly chopped
1 tsp dried cilantro, or to taste
1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded, roughly chopped
1/2-1 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp diced onions
raspberry vinaigrette, to taste

Mix all ingredients together and refrigerate for 30 minutes to blend the flavors.  Leftovers are great the next day!

Amount Per Serving
Calories 247.9 Total Fat 18.1 g Saturated Fat 2.4 g Polyunsaturated Fat 2.1 g Monounsaturated Fat 10.7 g Cholesterol 0.0 mg Sodium 359.8 mg Potassium 727.4 mg Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g Dietary Fiber 8.9 g Sugars 4.5 g Protein 3.5 g



Avocado

4 comments:

  1. I'll bet that's be amazing as a dip too! With small enough chunks you could pick up a substantial amount in a scoop shaped chip. Awe man, now I'm hungry again! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amber,
    This was originally a dip! Great minds!

    Cheers,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks fantastic! I love avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beverly,
    Try it! The avocado is the star of this salad.

    Cheers,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete