Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Home-made Red Kidney Beans FAIL

     Sigh.  My venture into cooking dried beans has failed.  I blame my slow cooker.  I set it up to cook on low for 8 hours overnight.  When it was done, it should have automatically switched to WARM.  However, for some reason, when I checked it this morning, it was STILL cooking and it was on HIGH.  Yikes.  Had the beans been cooking for 10+ hours?  Clearly they had because they were MUSH when I drained the water out.

     It looks disgusting, doesn't it?  I probably could have frozen them for some future cooking experiment (maybe a red bean veggie burger?)--but I only thought of that while I was writing this post.  And the beans are already in the trash.  Ugh.  At least they were dirt cheap.  I am bummed for now but I will definitely revisit this challenge!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't done many slow-cooker beans. Mostly I do the "quick soak" and then make sure to do the last bit of cooking when I am home. I cook a bunch, then freeze them in dinner-sized portions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beverly,
    Thanks for your comment! I've heard of the "quick soak" method but I've never done it myself. I,too, was trying to make a whole bunch of beans at once and freeze them for future use. I'll come back to this idea in the near future, as I am making more recipes with beans.

    Cheers,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am quick-soaking right now, actually. I can't personally tell the difference between that and the long soak method when I have a final product.

    ReplyDelete