Pages

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Muffins

You would never know that these are "healthy muffins." They are sweet, moist, and yummy. I was sad when I ate the last muffin from the batch.

The ingredients:
1) 1 sweet potato
2) whole wheat flour
3) baking soda
4) salt
5) ground spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves
6) vegetable oil
7) 2 eggs
8) vanilla extract
9) honey
10) vanilla yogurt
11) topping: oatmeal, brown sugar, almonds, and cinnamon

Changes that I made:

1) I used canned, sweetened yams instead of cooking and mashing the sweet potato. I would have used un-sweetened canned yams if I could find them at the grocery store. Anyway, the canned yams were a time saver; who has time to cook one sweet potato for 40 minutes just to use it for a muffin recipe? On the other hand, I bet this would be a great use for left over sweet potato casserole! I did NOT cut back on the amount of sweetener (the honey)--I either have a super sweet tooth or the canned yams weren't that sweetened!

2) I used imitation vanilla extract instead of the real stuff. Sorry. The grocery store was out of the real stuff, so I bought this instead. There's a big difference...I ended up using about 1 tbsp (instead of 1 tsp).

The topping tastes like sawdust. There's also far too much for just 16 muffins. I think it's supposed to be a healthier streusel-type of topping. The muffin is good enough on its own; although I will probably use a brown sugar-cinnamon topping the next time I make it.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment