Pages

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Whole Wheat, Oatmeal, and Banana Pancakes

I felt very Martha Stewart-like as I made these pancakes. I made my own oat flour, as directed in the recipe. I didn't mean to do so and had I actually read the directions, I would have purchased freakin' oat flour. While it was truly frugal to make my very own oat flour, it wasn't worth the time it took to clean out the blender afterwards. The flour compacted into every nook and cranny of the blender--what a bear to clean.

These pancakes need some help with flavor. I added another teaspoon of vanilla but they still weren't quite right. They weren't quite sweet enough and they were a bit bland. Come to think of it, adding another banana would probably solve the problem entirely.

The shopping list for this recipe: one banana. Uber cheap. I love my well stocked kitchen.

I will probably try making these again, using the following recipe (inspired by the one at Allrecipes.com).

Whole Wheat, Oatmeal, and Banana Pancakes

Ingredients

1 cup oat flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp dry milk powder
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 egg
2 cups soy milk
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 bananas, mashed

Directions:

1. Sift together the oat flour, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, brown sugar, and dry milk powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix together and set aside.

2. Whisk together the egg, milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Stir in the mashed banana. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir until just moistened.

3. Heat a large, non-stick pan or griddle over medium heat. Lightly film the pan with oil, if needed. (I do this by dipping a tightly folded paper towel into a bit of oil, then wipe it over the pan.) Drop about 1/4-cup of batter onto the pan. Cook until the bubbles leave holes on the surface when they pop and the edges are dry, about 2 minutes. Flip, and cook until browned on the other side. Note: I find that I need to gradually lower the heat as I work my way through the batter, otherwise the pan gets too hot even over medium heat.

Keep the finished pancakes warm by setting them on a cookie sheet in an oven set to the lower temperature (This is 250 degrees in my oven.) Cover with aluminum foil to keep them from drying out in the oven.


Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving
Calories 363.3
Total Fat 8.6 g
Cholesterol 35.5 mg
Sodium 523.6 mg
Potassium 435.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 75.1 g (Dietary Fiber 7.6 g, Sugars 13.6 g)
Protein 11.2 g

No comments:

Post a Comment