Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Spinach and Egg-White Breakfast Roll up




Does that win the prize for longest title…somewhere? I originally thought to call it a breakfast burrito, but given its simplicity, I thought that a burrito didn’t really fit. “Roll-up” sounded just right.

I got the idea from the Biggest Loser Family Cookbook. They have some great recipes in there for all three meals of the day, snacks, and even desserts. Most of the breakfast recipes rely on egg whites…this particular one calls for three egg whites per serving. The first time I made this roll-up, I separated a dozen eggs and saving the uncooked yolks for later use but that created a whole stash of egg yolks that were just hanging out in the fridge for…something. Most recipes that call for just egg yolks are none too healthy. I was craving a savory breakfast this week, saw this one and WANTED it. So I just bought a large carton of Egg Beaters. (Wal-mart unfortunately does not carry a store-brand on this…bummer.) The egg beaters were expensive…as I knew they would be. I did find some interesting recipes for egg substitutes, most of them use tofu that are chopped to resemble scrambled eggs. One recipe from Fat Free Vegan kitchen has you throw silken tofu into a blender to “liquefy” it. I’m curious enough to try it someday. The only problem with that vegan recipe is that it calls for stuff I don’t already have in my pantry…nutritional yeast, for one. I’ve heard of it but good gracious, I’m not sure where to get that in my small town. It doesn’t sound like regular yeast would be a good substitution, either. Also, tahini…I think it’s a perishable product and unfortunately, I’ve only ever seen it sold in pint-sized cans. I’ll have to do some research to see if it freezes well. The only other use for tahini that I know of is hummus…and I don’t make that very often. I actually make mine from a mix…I think it tastes better…my “scratch-made” hummus never comes out as smoothly as the restaurant-style.

The first time I made this, I cooked the spinach leaves together with the eggs and a bit of left over blue cheese in the interest of time. I also made my own home-made whole wheat flour tortillas, which was a fun experiment. Click here to see a picture of the tortillas. I made a huge batch of the scrambled egg mixture and attempted to eat it for breakfast the rest of the week. I think I made it two or three days…the rest of the week, I essentially skipped breakfast. The combination of the cooked spinach with the egg just wasn’t that good…I would take two bites and then just leave the rest. Of course, I was starving and cranky by the time lunch came around. This time, I left all of the ingredients separate and combined them as I was constructing the roll-up. MUCH BETTER. The crunch of the spinach contrasted nicely with the soft texture of the eggs. And the dash of the Parmesan cheese added a nice salty-savory counterpoint. And it was all packaged very neatly in the tortilla wrap. In all, it’s a nice, low cal, low fat, low cholesterol breakfast. There’s so much fiber and protein in the wrap that it was pretty filling. Even though it’s less than 200 calories as written in the cookbook, I was able to make it to lunchtime every day this past week without feeling like my stomach was going to leave my body and go foraging for food.

Kim's Spinach Egg White Breakfast Roll-up

Makes 5 roll-ups

3 3/4 cups egg whites (about 15 eggs)
salt and pepper to taste
5 whole wheat flour tortillas, about 95% fat free, and at least 7-8 inches across.
1 1/4 cups spinach leaves, stems removed. Washed and dried.
5-8 tsp of grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:

1. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. Spray with olive oil to coat. Pour in the egg whites and season to taste with salt and pepper. Scramble the eggs. Cook to desired done-ness.

2. Place one tortilla on a plate. Put about 1/4 cup of the spinach leaves in a line down the center of the tortilla. Place about 3/4 cup of scrambled egg white on top of the spinach. Sprinkle about 1 tsp of grated Parmesan cheese as the final layer. Fold the tortilla burrito style and enjoy!

Note: Refrigerate the leftovers, except for the tortilla wraps. You can assemble the whole thing and microwave it for about 30 seconds to warm it up a bit. I found that microwaving for a full minute cooked and wilted the spinach too much for my taste..the wilted spinach detracted from the overall taste and yumminess of the roll-up.

Nutrition Facts

Amount Per Serving
Calories 219.5
Total Fat 4.3 g
Saturated Fat 1.2 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.0 g
Cholesterol 1.3 mg
Sodium 435.9 mg
Potassium 269.8 mg
Total Carbohydrate 28.2 g
Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
Sugars 0.0 g
Protein 20.2 g

Note: The above nutrition facts were calculated without the "salt and pepper to taste."

No comments:

Post a Comment