Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

My Family, Gia Dinh Cua Toi


     Last week I went out of state to visit my family for my birthday.  We live kinda far apart, so I don't get to see them that often; usually just once a year.  At the back row (l-r) is my sister-in-law, me, then my second brother.  In the front (l-r) is my youngest nephew, my niece, my oldest brother (his wife is in the back row, far left), my oldest nephew, and my Mom.  The kids belong to my oldest brother and his wife.  We're a good lookin' bunch.  I'm not the only girl in the family...my sister lives in yet another state and she wasn't there for this visit.  Yes, my beautiful, petite mom had FIVE kids. 

     It was a wonderful time and my birthday dinner was fabulous! My third brother (he's on the far right in the picture below) and the rest of my family spent the whole day prepping and grilling a five course meal.  What a great birthday present!



    The day began by marinating the veggies, shiitake mushrooms and baby bok choy in a homemade sauce.

 
My third brother, making the dough for the flat bread.


The flat bread, ready for the grill...


Mom putting a homemade rub on the tri-tip...


Heating up the coals in the chimney.


My second brother's AWESOME grill set up.  I definitely had grill-envy. 


The set up for the smoker (the tri-tip got cooked in here).


And since we're outside, I'll take you on a photo-tour of my brother's garden.  Those baby plants? Corn!  (Cool!)  And string beans that grow in a bush.  



A huge squash...


And some herbs...Thai basil on the left and Parsley on the right.









Two of my brothers, grilling the veggies...


The veggies looked and smelled great!



Grilling the flat bread.



Grilling pizza for the kids, in case they didn't like anything else on the menu!  (My oldest nephew didn't believe a pizza could be cooked on grill.  I had to show him the picture to convince him!)



Me, enjoying a glass of wine and some truly glorious weather.  (Jim, the hat is a nod to you : )


And at last, the feast!




This last one is a Vietnamese dumpling, wrapped in banana leaves and steamed.  The name completely escapes me at the moment and right now it's too late at night to call my Mom and ask her for the name.



     It was a great birthday!  If food is love, then I am overflowing!  Gia dinh cua toi = my family.

2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious ... and love the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun! Looks like a gorgeous day, gorgeous food, and great family. I am glad you got some good family time.

    ReplyDelete