Pages

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Chicken, Black Bean, Corn, and Tomato Salad




Oh my goodness, this is one tasty salad. It's delicious. This is good enough to serve to my mother. And it's pretty!

I made this salad last night with the following changes: 1) Yellow onion instead of scallions, 2) 10 oz of canned, cooked chicken instead of poaching 12 oz of fresh chicken breast, 3) Added a cup of thawed frozen peas, 4) 1/2-1 tsp of dried tarragon (I just eyeballed it), and 5) 1/2-1 tsp of dried basil, again I eyeballed it. 6) maybe 1/4 tsp of ground red pepper, to help brighten the taste, and 7) Ground coriander instead of fresh parsley. I happened to have these spices on hand and I thought I would toss them in. I think they made a huge difference in the success of this salad.

Using the pre-cooked, chopped chicken speeds this meal up considerably. I don't make roast chicken so I don't ever have left-over cooked chicken lying around. The next time I make this salad, probably for a pot-luck, I will probably turn to the canned chicken once more. If I make it for myself, I will go through the trouble of cooking up fresh chicken breasts.

As mentioned in my last post, I rinsed both the chicken and black beans as planned. I think it did get rid of much of the sodium, as I had to add a bit of salt at the end, again to help bring out the flavors.

It's a bright salad that's perfect for spring and summer. It actually looks more like a salsa than a salad, since there's no lettuce. There's enough protein and carbs in there to make it a meal. I had the suggested serving size for dinner tonight and I found it to be quite filling. Since I made so many changes to it, I feel like I should post my version here. Enjoy!

Kim's Chicken, Bean, Corn, and Tomato Salad

Serves 4

10-12oz of cooked, chopped chicken.
15oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 large tomato, chopped
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1 tbsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2-1 tsp of dried tarragon
1/2-1 tsp of ground coriander
Ground red pepper, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp sherry vinegar or cider vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 yellow onion, chopped. About 1/4-1/3 cup.

Directions: Mix everything together in a non-reactive medium sized bowl, cover, and refrigerate 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.

Nutrition Facts (From the SparkRecipes.com Recipe Calculator)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 288.7
Total Fat 5.6 g
Saturated Fat 0.9 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.9 g
Monounsaturated Fat 2.9 g
Cholesterol 49.3 mg
Sodium 486.7 mg
Potassium 553.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 34.6 g
Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
Sugars 4.7 g
Protein 29.0 g

No comments:

Post a Comment